Sunday 17 June 2012

Low carb chocolate muffins


Today, while my sister was at the gym and I was babysitting my favourite Una, I decided to experiment further with oopsies. We had been talking about making them as chocolate muffins so I thought I'd surprise her, ambitious I know! Even though Una woke up I managed to pull it off. I followed the recipe for basic oopsies and chucked in some extra stuff. I don't have an exact recipe as it was very much a case of tasting and adding more but these are the broad strokes:

2 egg whites

2 egg yolks

60ish grams plain cream cheese

2 tsp honey

1-2 tbsp cocoa powder

1-2 tbsp ground almonds

Dark chocolate

Beat egg whites stiff as if making meringue. In a separate bowl mix all the other ingredients, tasting as you go. Fold a spoonful of the egg whites into the mixture then fold the mixture into the eggwhites. Dollop into a muffin pan, mine made nine, and finely grate some dark chocolate over the top.

Bake for about 30 mins on gas mark 2/150 degrees then turn the oven off and leave the muffins to cool in the oven with the door propped up.

I served mine with a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh berries. Delicious!

No comments: