Sunday 28 March 2010

gaga for, well, Gaga...

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga.
I like some of her songs and she's kind of fun.
She annoys me though and I can't really put my finger on why...
It has to do with her trying so hard to be "cool" and "different".
I can't bear pretension and pretentious people.
In my humble opinion, the uncoolest thing in the world is trying to be cool.

However, having finally caved in, I bought the latest Q magazine.*
The Gaga is on the cover and there's also a story/interview in the mag.
And after reading it I actually find myself respecting
(and dare I say admiring) her.
I found myself looking at her from a different perspective.

From the article:
"She's the world's only female pop icon
who deliberately presents herself as
significantly less attractive than she really is..."
And on the subject of her record label saying
"we need something beautiful",
when she proposed a shot of "a black haired Gaga crying blood"
as the artwork for The Fame Monster, she had this to say:
"... the last thing any young person needs is another
photograph of a woman rubbing her glistening tits,
enjoying life, because that's not how we fucking feel"
Word!

So, I'm reevaluating my opinion of her.
And left feeling very confused by Q mag.
I mean the reason I didn't want to buy it in the first place
was to do with them (however indirectly) sexually objectifying women.**
All this is very confusing.

That's really all I wanted to say!
Now I'm off to buy shoes.
With the weight of "Sabina's shoe fund" heavily on my shoulders.

Live long and prosper.
Sab x



*Long story which I started writing about when I was ill
but temporarily gave up on due to the fact that
I was unable to write coherent sentences or indeed make any sense.
I'm trying to finish it but finding it difficult picking up a train
of thought born in the throes of fever...

** See above ^

No comments: