Friday 11 March 2011

Mad world

I've been hearing about the earthquake in Japan all day, but it wasn't until I went to have my nails done and the TV was tuned to a news channel that I realised the magnitude of the thing. I sat there watching the footage of the quake and the tsunami and cars and houses being swept away and we all kept repeating holy crap, that's terrible.

And I've been thinking. Just lately there seems to be so much death and destruction. More than usual I mean. More than the stuff that goes on every day of every year but never gets reported for that exact reason: it's not news.
I mean, we're only in the first quarter of this year and we've had earthquakes and floods and half of North Africa and the Arab world seems to have gone into meltdown. At least what's going on there is kind of positive. Not the people dying and being hurt. That's obviously never good. But you know, they're fighting. They're struggling to achieve something they've not had for a long time, if ever. There is hope. Or maybe hope that there can be hope.

But all the death. And suffering. There just seems to be so much of it these days. You almost have to brace yourself before you turn on the TV or open a newspaper.

I really don't know what I'm saying here. It's sad. I think that's it.

1 comment:

Lori E said...

There are earthquakes every single day around the world. Most are out in the middle of the ocean or in desolate areas. It is only when they are in populated areas that we hear about them.
So sad. We had tsunami warnings here in B.C. but it wasn't likely. Thankfully there wasn't a problem.