Saturday 12 March 2011

Um, what?

So, Kate Moss smoked a cigarette on the catwalk a few days ago. I saw the picture in the paper and I can't honestly say that my reaction was more than: Huh, what, why? Then I moved on. It didn't have any impact on my life whatsoever.
And yes, it was probably bad. Glamorising smoking and blah blah. I mostly just didn't understand the point of it or the reason for it...
Then today I read this* and again I thought: Huh, what? I mean this woman is really angry. At Kate Moss. Not Louis Vuitton, not Marc Jacobs, not whoever was in charge of the fashion show (I know nothing of the fashion industry but I'm guessing that someone designs/directs these things?) but Kate Moss.
I might be very wrong here but I kinda figured this was a planned thing. Something that was a part of the show, like the clothes, the hair, the make-up. Not Kate Moss deciding she fancied a fag as she went on the catwalk and she just happened to have a pack of ciggies and a lighter in the pocket of her hotpants. I feel like I'm missing something here. It feels like blaming an actor for smoking in a movie. When you really should blame the director/writer for making the character smoke. It feels like a witch hunt and The Daily Mail has cast Kate Moss as the witch. This lady does not pull her punches...

I'm no angel, I'm not a "good girl" who's never broken any rules or done bad things. Smoking, underage drinking, generally behaving badly - I've done it. I have never done it because an actor/model/singer I liked and admired did it. I have never seen a movie where all the cool characters smoke and felt the need to emulate them. Maybe I'm an exception, but I really don't think so. I don't think those are the reasons 21% of Brits smoke. And when she writes: "...The health study found one boy started smoking cigarettes at the age of three — because his family thought it was funny." I think even she knows we can blame celebs for that.
But, then again, I could be wrong.
What do I know?

I don't know if I'm making any sense.

And this is not just because I love Kate Moss, which I do. This is not just because I think Kate Moss is one of the most beautiful women in the world and I would marry her if she asked me.
I'm genuinely confused. I don't understand. And I hate not understanding!

*Yes, this is The Daily Mail and we all know they like a rant (although usually it's about immigrants, hoodies and/or the lack of "values" in today's society) so I shouldn't really take it too seriously.

1 comment:

Lori E said...

When I watch the series Mad Men and see them all smoking it throws me for a loop simply because so few people do nowadays.
I agree with your rant 100%. I smoked what I wanted when I wanted when I was a teen and not because I saw it on t.v. or a movie, though Peter Fonda in Easy Rider did get my blood running.
If we blame t.v. etc. for making us smoke then we would also have to give them credit if we don't smoke because many characters don't smoke.
Rant on.