Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Food for thought

So, that fast...
I managed 2 1/2 days then I had to break it. So I'm counting that as a success. Hmm...
Basically I woke up around four on the Monday morning feeling like I was going to die. I was drenched in sweat and as nauseous as it's possible to be without actually throwing up. After drinking some water and taking deep breaths I managed to get back to sleep only to wake up around seven freezing cold. I tried to drink some herbal tea and breakfast juice but every time I took a sip it tried to come right back up again.
I could hardly stand up and spent most of the day in bed shaking uncontrollably and trying not to vomit. I was roasting hot then ten minutes freezing cold. I pretty much felt like I had been struck down by some killer bug. Now I don't know if this was the detox kicking in or just the side effects of not eating but it felt like my body was saying "enough with the flipping juice, I want food!".
Let me tell you, I'm no wuss. If it wasn't for the fact that I had to go to work in the afternoon and I could barely get out of bed, I would have carried on. I don't like to leave things unfinished. (I do all the time, but I don't like it!) By three in the afternoon, having been unable to drink any juice or tea, my blood sugar levels were in the red and I needed something to get me trough the few hours I had to work. So I caved and ate a little bit of grated carrot and some yoghurt with strawberries.
After work I tried again with the juice, hoping it would work better. I made a juice that was really yummy (I'd had it before) with lots of good stuff. And I couldn't drink a drop of it. As soon as I took a sip I actually gagged. So I broke my fast and then spent the next two days doing it the way I'd planned.
So, not quite a success but not too bad. I'm not going to beat myself up about it.
The good news is that since doing it I've felt great! I've been eating much healthier and I seem to have lost my sweet tooth. Before I'd spend my evenings snacking on sweets, chocolate and crisps but I seem to have gotten out of that habit now. I did have some cake and ice cream at the weekend and was worried that might get me back into it but it really hasn't! I don't even think about it. I no longer have a biscuit or three with every cup of tea and since I only had unsweetened tea during the fast I'm now down from 4 teaspoons of sugar in my regular tea, to two! I'm trying to gradually cut that down too, to maybe one or even 1/2.
I don't even drink that much tea anymore, at least a couple of cups every day have been substituted for herbal stuff.
I feel much lighter and more energetic and generally just good. So, all in all, I'm glad I did it!

This has been a long and rambling post I know, but I also haven't posted in a while so I'm thinking that evens things out!

No comments: