Tuesday 28 September 2010

(insert pithy title here)

I'm still here!
I haven't stopped writing this blog and gone over to my Swedish one!
In fact, that one hasn't had any posts lately either.

I've just been a bit busy.
Working, nursing hangovers, the usual.

And most of my spare time has been spent in the company of Alexander the Great.
See, I have a bit of a fascination with ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt etc. Ancient civilisations really.
And Alexander the Great I find very interesting.
So, one of the books I ordered was a biography of him. (I also rather ambitiously bought the Iliad)
Oh yeah, the books actually arrived on the Monday, so I guess amazon was just trying not to get my hopes up. Now I love them again!
I started off by reading the Alexander book and a Stephen King one in tandem (as I usually do) but soon realised that Alexander needed my full attention*. I'm not sure I like this book... The "story" is good and it's very informative, but it's written in a very annoying way. It's not that it's too academic, I don't have a problem with that, it's just that it's very difficult to find, and follow, some sort of thread... The author sees to be going round in circles and sometimes manages to write himself into corners that seem difficult to get out of.
I find myself, sometimes, having to re-read portions several times to get it to make sense.
But, I haven't finished the book and, you never know, it might get better. I'm persevering in any case!
I want, no need, to know more about this fascinating dude!

So, I'll be spending a lot of time in Macedonia in the near future (and I guess the past?).
And, if you're lucky, you might get a review of the book once I've finished it!

sab x

* The first time in history, I think, that I've had a brand spanking King book and chosen to read something else! And probably the only time it'll ever happen...

No comments: